[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Hemkay, the 100% Haskell MOD player

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Thu Dec 17 16:01:06 EST 2009

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Patai Gergely wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just uploaded the fruit of a little side project. Hemkay [1] is an
> oldschool module music [2] player that performs all the hard work in
> Haskell.

Cool.
  The most complicated I tried was to import OctaMED printout to Haskore:
   http://darcs.haskell.org/haskore/src/Haskore/Interface/MED/Text.hs
   http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/haskore/0.1/doc/html/Haskore-Interface-MED-Text.html

> Still, I'd be curious to see how the overall quality of the code could
> be improved. In particular, retrieving and updating record fields is
> somewhat inconvenient. Also, the actual mixing (limited to the mixChunk
> function) is embarrassingly slow, and I wonder how much it could be
> improved without leaving the pure world.

I have a function for mixing sounds at different (relative) start times. I
feel that it does not get maximum speed in GHC, but is still ready for
realtime application.
   http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/synthesizer-core/0.2.1/doc/html/Synthesizer-Storable-Cut.html#v%3Aarrange