[Haskell-cafe] Re: Allowing hyphens in identifiers

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 20:47:51 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM, John D. Earle <JohnDEarle at cox.net> wrote:
> The problem that I see with elision resulting in juxtaposition is that it
> would alter the layout. Each line would not have the same number of
> characters before and after the makeover. Visual appearance would also be
> altered. Replacing hyphens with underscores as I originally proposed

As long as we're pushing pet peeves: don't line things up vertically
then.  If you use a newline and add a tab level you can still use
layout and not have this problem.  You wind up with less indentation
too, though occasionally more vertical space.  And you can use
commands without the editor having to understand haskell.  Etc.

My pet peeve is having to lean on the space bar while squinting at the
screen because someone wants to line things up vertically.