[Haskell-cafe] Hayoo and Hoogle (beginner question)

Timo B. Hübel t.h at gmx.info
Mon Dec 7 05:16:35 EST 2009

On Monday 07 December 2009 10:24:37 Lyndon Maydwell wrote:
> I had heard that Hoogle actually compiled any type-signatures, where
> as Hayoo just did a text comparison.
>
> I'm not actually sure if this is true or not though.
>
> If it is, it would mean that "[q] -> [r] -> [(q,r)]" would return zip
> in Hoogle, but not Hayoo.
>
> Am I right about this?

Yes, we (in Hayoo!) only do text based stuff. Is is possbile to search for
signatures, but no generalization etc. is done at all. This is very primitive
in Hayoo! and I really suggest using Hoogle for type searches.

As for the question about a command line interface: There is nothing like that
for Hayoo!, although one could easily hack something together, just using some
wget-grep-cut-magic. I also have some code lying around for primitive command
line searches using an offline Hayoo! index. Maybe I could get that into
proper shape, given enough public demand ;)

Cheers,
Timo