[Haskell-cafe] HP + Gtk2hs?

Jeremy O'Donoghue jeremy.odonoghue at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 12:08:22 EST 2009

Hi Andrew,

On 5 Dec 2009, at 16:15, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> Saturday, December 5, 2009, 6:40:23 PM, you wrote:
>> Gtk2hs is currently the *only* GUI binding that actually works on
>> Windows.
>
> i thought that wx and even qt are in rather good shape now

Thanks for the vote, Bulat.

wxHaskell installs out of the box easily on Windows now. See http://
haskell.org/haskellwiki/WxHaskell/Building. The hardest part is
building wxWidgets itself.

Prerequisites are:
- MinGW C++ compiler Make, with MSys shell (to build wxWidgets)
- wx-config binary for Windows

To build wxWidgets, download the Windows source package from wxWidgets.

1) You will need the Windows port of wx-config in your path. This can
be downloaded from http://wxconfig.googlepages.com/

2) You will need to compile wxWidgets using MSys. We have tested
against MinGW 5.1.6 with g++ compiler, MinGW Make, MSYS-1.0.11,
wxMSW-2.8.10, which are the latest versions, and can be downloaded
from their respective websites. I used a completely clean install of
the latest Haskell Platform to validate the procedure.

Please note: all commands to be entered in an MSys shell.

cd /c/path/to/wxWidgets-2.8.10/build/msw
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=release MONOLITHIC=1 SHARED=1
UNICODE=1

set PATH=$PATH:/c/path/to/wx-config
set WXWIN=/c/path/to/wxWidgets-2.8.10
set WXCFG=gcc_dll/mswu

At this point you have installed and configured wxWidgets on Windows.

The Haskell part is more or less trivial: cabal install wx

I'd encourage you to try wxHaskell again, and let us know how
you get on.

Regards
Jeremy
--