[Haskell-cafe] HP + Gtk2hs?

M Xyz functionallyharmonious at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 5 19:34:52 EST 2009

--- On Sat, 12/5/09, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Hell, I even followed a C++ guide to Win32 programming and
>> managed to translate an "open a blank window" program to Haskell, and it
>> worked. Maybe somebody just needs to sit down and write a nice binding
>> for doing native GUI stuff under Win32?

Well there's http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/Win32/Graphics-Win32.html for opening blank windows. ;)

This relates to my question a couple days ago about a good cross platform 2d library. I wonder why there isnt a Haskell library that follows in the footsteps of Java's Swing - by that I mean, just have a very simple low level way of opening a window, getting mouse clicks, and an abstracted drawing layer... and make the GUIs with that. The GUIs are drawn and not OS widgets. That's exactly why I was looking for something like Cairo. My interest is in composable fudgets (stealing the word from fudgets).

This way every platform can share the same GUI library and HP can ship with the minimal tools to open a window and draw on every system. Plus OS guis are the wrong thing for Haskell. You need to retain the power to make better abstractions.