[Haskell-cafe] HP + Gtk2hs?

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 14:54:32 EST 2009

2009/12/5 Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com>:

> Interestingly, while you can't compile bindings to external C libraries,

Ah Mr Coppin,  maybe you should change "you" to "I".

I had (Haskell bindings) SDL-0.5.3 working August last year - so I
think I would be using GHC 6.8.3 at that time, the version of the SDL
C library was 1.2.13.

SDL has no prepared package in the Cygwin package manager, so you have
to download it yourself. I seem to remember it being more tricky to
get SDL working under Cygwin as a C library (you need extra DirectX
header files at least), than it was to compile the Haskell binding
once the C library was working. Instructions for compiling the C
library for Cygwin are on the SDL website.

I haven't tried it since as I don't need SDL for anything I do, but
don't I think it would be any harder (lemmih's binding seems to be
pretty stable and at the time I used it, it was impressively tidy).

Best wishes again

Stephen