[Haskell-cafe] Finding HP

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 5 10:08:29 EST 2009

Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> The suggestion was to have a single Download button, leading to a
> *page* of suitably described links, allowing the user to choose
> whether they only wanted the basics (a choice of compiler/interpreter
> + cabal), or the whole Platform, or something else.  It would be the
> ideal place to explain what cabal is and how to use hackage to get
> more libraries than are contained in the platform.  It would perhaps
> reduce the clutter on the front page that some people complained of
> (although I don't personally think it cluttered).

It seems I'm contraversial even when I'm trying to be uncontraversial. :-}

Anyway, the above suggestion sounds most optimal to me. Haskell tends to
suffer from a frustrating degree of "information dragmentation" (I love
whoever came up with that term...), and collecting a bunch of
information in one place like this sounds very useful.

I guess in a way, the current "implementations" page could become this
page (or this new page makes the existing implementations page obsolete...)

I also think it might be worth mentioning HP from the GHC homepage, just
in case anybody has that bookmarked directly...