[Haskell-cafe] Finding HP

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Dec 3 20:41:45 EST 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 11:43 , Don Stewart wrote:
> vandijk.roel:
>> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Gregory Crosswhite
>> <gcross at phys.washington.edu> wrote:
>>> On a more serious note, "Download Haskell" /= "Download Haskell
>>> Platform", so if I were glancing down the sidebar looking for a
>>> link to download the "Haskell Platform" then the first link
>>> wouldn't have registered for me.  And putting a "X has been
>>> released link!" in the news does not count as a prominent download
>>> link.
>>
>> If I wanted to know something *about* the *Haskell Platform* I would
>> click the link The Haskell Platform under the section About. So it is
>> actually mentioned 3 times on the front page. What could be improved
>> are the 2 download links: "Download Haskell" and "Download GHC". It
>> would perhaps be better to have one nice big "Download" button that
>> takes you to a separate download page.
>
> Having a single download link that only points to the Haskell Platform
> would be a bit of a policy shift. Is the community ready to accept
> that
> users looking for "Haskell" should be given the HP binaries?

But that isn't the suggestion; I see nowhere a statement that the
separate download page needs to only have the Haskell Platform.

In fact, I suspect it would be good for the download page to provide
both and suggest in user-friendly terms which one to download (which I
suspect is still GHC for now, until the HP settles down a bit).

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu