[Haskell-cafe] Converting typeset mathematics into Haskell ?

John D. Ramsdell ramsdell0 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 21:19:21 EDT 2009

The purpose of mathematic syntax is to comunicate mathematical ideas
between humans.  Programmirng languages both communicate mathmatical
ideas among humans and specify sequences  of operations performed by
computing machinery to achieve a goal.  The trouble is is the first
goal is often forgotten.  The Haskell community tends to be less
likely to forget the first goal.

The fact is the dual purpose of programming languages causes
conflicts.  Let's focus on currying.  I'm sure that most in this
community think that currying is wonderful, but many pure
mathematicians look at us quizically.  What's all the excitent about?
How does this help me communicate with other homosapians?

Comunication appears to be a driving force of the Fortress languge
<http://projectfortress.sun.com>.  Personally, I think that Data
Parallel Haskell (DPH) plus Haskell's commitment to currying is a
viable approach to high performance computing.

John