[Haskell-cafe] Converting typeset mathematics into Haskell ?

Mark Wassell mwassell at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 21 19:49:54 EDT 2009

Does anyone know of any papers or projects, either for Haskell or any
other language, that relate to what I am going to attempt to describe in
the following:

Go to any paper or book that includes some amount of calculation type
mathematics. An example is the formula in the Description section of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-means_clustering.

Think about how you would convert this into Haskell. You might then find
yourself wondering why you have to convert it into Haskell at all. Given
that most mathematics online is typeset using something like latex or
mathml, why can't we parse this typesetting and convert it into Haskell
code? In all likelyhood the conversion might be ambiguous so some rules
might be needed to guide the conversion.

Furthermore, if there are editors that allow you to edit these sorts of
equations in a wysiwyg style, why not leverage these to edit the
Haskell+Math code also in a wysiwyg style.

I think this goes to the larger question of why are most programming
languages (or to be more exact the way we write programs in those
languages) is still based around a linear sequence of tokens rather than
something that is more 2D (there is still some linearity as even in math
formula there is still a top down and left to right flow).

Mark