[Haskell-cafe] Where do I put the seq?

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 07:07:34 EDT 2009

In an attempt to get a deeper understanding of several monads (State, ST,
IO, ...) I skimmed over some of the research papers (but didn't understand
all of it, I lack the required education) and decided to write a little
program myself without using any prefab monad instances that should mimic
the following:
main = do
  putStrLn "Enter your name:"
  x <- getLine
  putStr "Welcome "
  putStrLn x
  putStrLn "Goodbye!"

But instead of using IO, I wanted to make my own pure monad that gets
evaluated with interact, and does the same.

However, I get the following output:

Enter your name:
Welcome ......

So the Welcome is printed too soon.

This is obvious since my monad is lazy, so I tried to put a seq at some
strategic places to get the same behavior as IO. But I completely failed
doing so, either the program doesn't print anything and asks input first, or
it still prints too much output.

Of course I could just use ST, State, transformers, etc, but this is purely
an exercise I'm doing.

So, I could re-read all papers and look in detail at all the code, but maybe
someone could help me out where to put the seq or what to do :-)

The code is at http://hpaste.org/fastcgi/hpaste.fcgi/view?id=8316

Oh btw, the usage of DList here might not be needed; intuitively it felt
like the correct thing to do, but when it comes to Haskell, my intuition is
usually wrong ;-)

Thanks a lot,
Peter Verswyvelen