[Haskell-cafe] simulation in the haskell way

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 09:55:53 EDT 2009

You need to look into functional reactive programming, but be warned, this
is active research :-)
Two libraries I know of in which you can currently make working simulations
are Yampa and Elerea. But the former doesn't scale really well, and the
latter might not really be functional (I think it's not referentially
transparent)

Other libraries such as Reactive and Grapefruit are very promising, but I
don't know their current status.

Good luck. For me (I'm also an experienced imperative programmer in the
simulation field), Haskell is very addictive, but also insanely frustrating
because I never have the feeling I know the language well enough and I don't
see the big picture yet. So I can't yet achieve in Haskell what I can in
other languages, but purity and laziness are drugs, so you're doomed :-)