[Haskell-cafe] Request for comments - hdnsomatic

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 17:43:12 EDT 2009

Hi

An easy way to get some instant feedback is to run HLint on it:
http://community.haskell.org/~ndm/hlint

The results are:

C:\Neil\hlint>hlint Example.hs
Example.hs:42:1: Warning: Use liftM
Found:
  readFile p >>= return . lines >>=
    return . map (second tail . break (== '=') . filter (/= ' '))
Why not:
  liftM (map (second tail . break (== '=') . filter (/= ' ')))
    (readFile p >>= return . lines)

Example.hs:42:1: Warning: Use liftM
Found:
  readFile p >>= return . lines
Why not:
  liftM lines (readFile p)

Found 2 suggestions

So using liftM instead of >>= return might be better style.

You can also make minor tweaks like:

if null args then readConfig defaultConfig else readConfig (head args)
==>
readConfig $ if null args then defaultConfig else head args

  currentIP <- catch (getIPAddress webIP) (\e -> syslog Error (show e)
>>  return "0")
  oldIP <- catch (S.readFile ipCache) (\e ->  syslog Error (show e) >>
return "0")
==>
let catch_ x = catch x (\e -> syslog Error (show e) >>  return "0")
currentIP <- catch_ $ getIPAddress webIP
oldIP <- catch_ (S.readFile ipCache)

And there's no need to exitSuccess at the end of main, exitSuccess is
the default.

Thanks

Neil