[Haskell-cafe] Re: Thinking about what's missing in our library coverage

Tom Tobin korpios at korpios.com
Wed Aug 5 11:37:46 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Colin Paul
Adams<colin at colina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Just because a library is blessed, doesn't mean you have to use it.

Then I'm not sure I understand the point of blessing it in a set of
libraries that "saves you the task of picking and choosing the best
Haskell libraries and tools to use for a task" if "task" (in the
second mention) is limited to "developing GPL'd software".  The
"picking and choosing" problem immediately comes back for everyone
else, leaving the platform with second-class users who are forced to
evaluate the libraries to make sure they're legally compatible —
defeating the purpose of the platform.

> This can surely be tackled by cabal, as it already has the license information.

I don't see this as a real solution; why would a package be added to
the platform in the first place if a large proportion of developers
couldn't make use of it?