[Haskell-cafe] Google SoC: Space profiling reloaded

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Thu Apr 30 19:00:08 EDT 2009

> http://socghop.appspot.com/student_project/show/google/gsoc2009/haskell/t124022468245
>
> There's less than a month left before I'm supposed to jump into coding,
> and I'd love to hear about any little idea you think would make this
> project even better! I created a project page with a rough draft of what
> I intend to concentrate on, but the issue tracker is obviously begging
> for content, so feel encouraged to populate it. :)
>
> http://code.google.com/p/hp2any/

Hi there,

I'm sure lots of Haskellers are looking forward to profiling improvements!-)

The wxHaskell applications page

http://wxhaskell.sourceforge.net/applications.html

mentions

http://dready.org/projects/HPView/

which seems relevant.

Shortening the song and dance needed to get profiles would be nice
(eliminating the PS viewer dependency in the process).
So would not having to select profile type in advance (and not having
to repeat the profile runs again and again, with only one view each time).

I assume you're only going to look into visualization, not semantics?-)
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/cvs-ghc/2008-October/045981.html

Also, there is a lot of space profiling support, but I'd sometimes like
more detailed time profiling (not just end-of-run summaries, but time
sliced profiling - "in this time slice, most of the time was spent in x,
in the next time slice, most of the time was spent in y", "these functions
are frequented in the beginning, but are not used towards the end", etc).
Perhaps the recent support for code coverage could be bent to support
something like this without too much hacking?

Keep us informed!
Claus