[Haskell-cafe] breaking too long lines

Miguel Mitrofanov miguelimo38 at yandex.ru
Sat Apr 25 10:00:11 EDT 2009

On 25 Apr 2009, at 17:32, j.waldmann wrote:

> * with practically every modern IDE

You mean, with Emacs?

> * indentation should be by fixed amounts (e.g. 4 spaces for each
> level)
> and not depend on lengths of identifiers (because you might later
> change
> them)

Agreed. I always write code that way

> (well, actually you won't because we don't have Refactor->Rename
> that would be aware of namespaces, modules etc.)

Incorrect. Renaming local variables is quite common (and doesn't
require anything like Refactor->Rename). By the way, if we did have
Refactor->Rename, it should be able to change indentation as well.

> * A lot of my code is written for teaching, in fact I try to write
> all code
> in such a way that it could be shown to students,
> and so I try to use less than 40 chars per line because more won't
> fit on a
> slide.

For teaching, or for other forms of presentations - yes, that's an
upper bound.

> And, the slide holds at most 10 lines, so this gives a pretty clear
> bound
> on the size of a function. If it's larger, then it needs to be
> refactored.

Well, somebody said once that a function shouldn't be large than a
human's head, literally. But I wonder, how a Haskell function can be
more than 10 lines long (if it is not Main.main).