[Haskell-cafe] breaking too long lines

j.waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Sat Apr 25 09:32:45 EDT 2009

* with practically every modern IDE (say, Eclipse for Java), indentation is a
non-issue.
part of this discussion here is just because we are missing proper tools.
(Or not using.)

* indentation should be by fixed amounts (e.g. 4 spaces for each level)
and not depend on lengths of identifiers (because you might later change
them)
(well, actually you won't because we don't have Refactor->Rename
that would be aware of namespaces, modules etc.)

* A lot of my code is written for teaching, in fact I try to write all code
in such a way that it could be shown to students,
and so I try to use less than 40 chars per line because more won't fit on a
slide.
And, the slide holds at most 10 lines, so this gives a pretty clear bound
on the size of a function. If it's larger, then it needs to be refactored.
(Well, probably it won't, see above remark on tools.)

J.W.