[Haskell-cafe] OT: Good Linux distro for netbook + Haskell?

Adam Turoff adam.turoff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 16:53:49 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> I've decided to shop around for other options when it comes to a Debian
> distro to put on my Eee PC 900.  Since it has no HDD I want something
> that isn't too bloated (some is all right) and ideally leaves up to me
> what to install and what not to.

I got an Eee PC this winter and I started playing with Arch Linux on it.
Seems nice in theory, but the hardware is weird enough that you'll
need to spend a lot of time fiddling to get the right modules installed properly
to get things like wifi working.  Quickly turned into an exercise in yak shaving
instead of haskell hacking.

Eeebuntu is a good choice.  The base install supports everything without
configuration, and doesn't install a whole mess of stuff you don't need.
Based on the 8.10 release and includes the Array kernel that supports
all of the funky hardware.  Might be slightly out of date, but that's
easily remedied.

HTH,

-- Adam