[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANNOUNCE: Utrecht Haskell Compiler (UHC) -- first release

Stefan Holdermans stefan at cs.uu.nl
Tue Apr 21 10:23:24 EDT 2009

>> If we had been interested in raising fierce discussions about n+k
>> patterns or how and where cabal installs things, we could have easily
>> achieved the same effect with much less effort.
>
> you mean that we should shoot up? :)

If the release of UHC contributes to whatever discussion regarding
Haskell, that's of course, in its own right, a Good Thing---as long as
the discussion turns out to be a fruitful one and doesn't end up in a
religious war. (I'm by no means claiming that the current ones on (n +
k)-patterns and cabal are!)

However, that's of course not our main motivation for releasing UHC.
We ourselves find the EHC infrastructure very useful for
experimentation with type systems and back ends. Owing a great deal to
the community, we hope that by releasing the infrastructure in the
form of a not so much mature but at least maturing Haskell compiler we
can give something back to the community and have it profit from the
contained technology. Therefore, it would be a shame if  UHC was only
to be associated with debating language features and build systems;
I'm confident, however, that it won't.

Cheers,

   Stefan