[Haskell-cafe] UPDATE: haskellmode for Vim now at projects.haskell.org (+screencast; -)

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Tue Apr 21 09:51:47 EDT 2009

|I've finally found the time to take another look at your haskell mode
|for vim.  Two questions so far:

|1. I think earlier my indentation mode would match indentation of the
|previous line by default, after installing your scripts I always end
|up in column 1 after pressing return.  Is there some variable I can
|set to get back the old behaviour?

Matching indentation of previous line is still the behaviour I see here.
A quick look through my vimrc file (nothing to do with the plugins)
shows ':set autoindent' as the only indentation-related setting, and
':help autoindent' confirms that this option has the intended behaviour
(':set noautoindent' gives the alternate behaviour you describe).

I tend not to use the various more clever indentation options Vim
provides, so my plugins do not offer clever indentation either, and
should not interfere with whatever other indentation plugins you use.

':help autoindent' points to other indentation-related settings (c-style,
or language-dependent, or based on an evaluating an expression to
calculate likely indents, or ..). You could also try :scriptnames, and
see whether you are loading any Haskell indent scripts (if you enable
filetype detection to get my plugins loaded for Haskell source, and
you happen to have a Haskell indent file, you might pick that up - you
can disable filetype indent separately, see :help filetype-indent).

|2. My browser doesn't urldecode its command line arguments, so
|locations like "file:///usr/share/doc/ghc6-doc/libraries/base/Prelude.html%23v%253AfromIntegral"
|don't work.  I have to manually fix it up in the location bar.  Do you
|have any tip for dealing with that?

That is the first I hear about such an issue. As it seems to work with
most browsers (I tend to use Opera most, but -long ago- tested with
IE and FireFox as well), I would need to know about the browser in
question to see what is going on and think about workarounds.

Btw, the URL I see generated looks like this (right from Opera's
location bar):
file://localhost/c:/ghc/ghc-6.11.20090320/doc/libraries/base/Prelude.html#v%3AfromIntegral

so it seems that there is an additional level of encoding in your
setting (the '#'/'%' from the encoding are encoded themselves).

The haskellmode plugins just get the URLs from Haddock's index files,
and <C:/ghc/ghc-6.11.20090320/doc/libraries/doc-index.html>
also says:

    ><TR CLASS="indexrow"
    ><TD CLASS="indexentry"
    >fromIntegral</TD
    ><TD CLASS="indexlinks"
    ><A HREF="base/Prelude.html#v%3AfromIntegral"
    >Prelude</A
    ></TD
    ></TR

which is copied literally to g:haddock_index['fromIntegral'], and
passed almost literally to the browser call (with backslash escapes
for '#'/'%'). Somewhere along that line, or later, something different
happens on your system, and it seems to happen outside the plugins
(you could confirm this by using 'echo' as your browser, or by adding
a Vim breakpoint for function DocBrowser, and look at a:url).

It could be different Vim behaviour, but extra url-encoding is
rather specific to browsing, not editing.

Thanks for reporting the problems (it is the only way I get to know
about other platforms/configurations than the one I'm using!). The
plugins have a trac instance as well (I've just made the link more
prominent on their home page).

Claus