[Haskell-cafe] How to get glyph outline from ttf font.

Tillmann Vogt Tillmann.Vogt at rwth-aachen.de
Sat Apr 4 11:33:57 EDT 2009

Dmitry V'yal schrieb:
>     Greetings. I'm trying to render some glyphs from ttf font to svg
> image using gtk2hs cairo binding. Since I can find nothing appropriate
> in gtk2hs API,  I decided to draw outlines with bezier curves myself.
> But how to get them out of font? As far as I know, freetype library is
> capable of extracting outlines, but is there any haskell binding for it
> which supports this functionality?
>
>     Here [1] one such lib was mentioned, but it wasn't availible online
> that time. Have situation changed today?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> [1]
> http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Rendering-TTF-fonts-in-Haskell-and-OpenGL-p15635659.html

Hi Dmitry,

I cannot help you directly with freetype. But I have developped a
library that parses the svg-font format (this is not svg). Since
svg-font is XML it is much easier to parse than ttf. There is also a
program called fontforge that can be used to convert nearly every format
into svg-font.

The only problem is that currently triangulation has some bugs and is
only O(n^2), the algorithm for deleting holes is not finished, and
memoization isn't implemented. Should I upload the work although it is
not finished?