[Haskell-cafe] Re: Reverting to any old version using Darcs

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Fri Apr 3 09:18:18 EDT 2009

Peter Verswyvelen <bugfact at gmail.com> writes:

> Regarding these files that people forget to checkin.
> Doesn't every project have a well define directory structure? Shouldn't the
> "prefs/boring" file use this fact to encapsulate the rules of file inclusion
> and exclusion? Isn't it safer to checkin too many files (by accident) than
> forgetting one? Shouldn't this behavior be the default?

IMO: No.  My development directories tend to litter up with files
containing test input data, output data, profiling data, and all kinds
of junk.  Better to occasionally forget a file and get an error
message in the mail when somebody else tries to use it
(i.e. non-strictly) than have my darcs repository and Hackage sdists
working but littered with junk.  (My current testing involves 118GB of
input data, you sure you want to see that on Hackage? :-)

-k