[Haskell-cafe] Re: Reverting to any old version using Darcs

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 07:32:02 EDT 2009

Regarding these files that people forget to checkin.
Doesn't every project have a well define directory structure? Shouldn't the
"prefs/boring" file use this fact to encapsulate the rules of file inclusion
and exclusion? Isn't it safer to checkin too many files (by accident) than
forgetting one? Shouldn't this behavior be the default?

To me version control also means "if it works on my machine, it should work
on all other peoples machines after they are in synch". Of course in reality
people can also have different environment variables, different versions of
operating systems, different hardware, etc so this idea certainly
is utopia (however the version control system
"VESTA<http://sourcefrog.net/weblog/software/vc/vesta/index.html> "
tried to version everything, they even considered versioning the operating
system :-)