[Haskell-cafe] Haskell versus F#, OCaml, et. al. ...

Jon Harrop jonathandeanharrop at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:27:56 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 08:40:51 Mitchell, Neil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For libraries F# is probably superior to all, as it has libraries for
> virtually everything, and can interoperate seamlessly with COM and .NET.
> I doubt there will be any library functionality that can't be found or
> bought.

Although the .NET platform is general purpose by design it is actually only
used in quite specific domains (primarily web and database). Technical
computing is one domain where .NET is rarely used (it is about as popular as
OCaml in this context) and, unsurprisingly, the libraries available for .NET
are not great for this. In contrast, OCaml has mature bindings to BLAS,
LAPACK and FFTW as well as bindings to GSL and many other libraries have been
written natively in OCaml.

This is why we started two products that are designed to provide to F#
customers similar capabilities to those already available for free to OCaml
users.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e