[Haskell-cafe] Haskell versus F#, OCaml, et. al. ...

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Tue Sep 30 05:09:24 EDT 2008

claus.reinke:
> >for the libraries?
> >
> >   * http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_Platform
>
> You might have mentioned that there is finally a tracker (*) and
> an approximate .cabal meta-package (for dependencies only).
>
> - is the programs are not registered by Cabal issue going to be
>    fixed before platform release?

No. Not the right thing for cabal the package system to do.

> - haddock currently seems bundled with ghc, for interdependency
>    reasons

They're both in the platform.

> - shouldn't there be some compilers in the platform release as well
>    (and possibly a language/library report)?

The platform depends on GHC, and a specific release of the core libraries

No, the platform doesn't specify the language. The library report is the
haddock documentation however.

> - I'd like to see ghc-paths somewhere, too.
> Registering programs with cabal or having ghc installation info via
> ghc-paths may look minor, as the packages would be tiny, with
> meta-information only, but that is surprisingly useful.

The initial is just extralibs + cabal-install

We need to work out the ticket creation process first before adding new pieces.

> (*) please could the email notifications be switched on for
>    haskell.org-hosted trackers by default (haven't tried this one
>    yet, but notifications are off for haddock's tracker)? Trackers
>    that don't inform anyone of ticket activity are of limited use;-)

Good idea.