[Haskell-cafe] Hmm, what license to use?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Sep 28 12:22:51 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 12:20 PM,  <ajb at spamcop.net> wrote:
[..]
> The risk in picking yet another licence, one that satisfies your
> opinions on software freedom, is even more confusion.  If the usual
> BSD-like licence doesn't do it for you, I would be concerned about
> adding yet another licence into the mix if you don't have to.  Just
> use the LGPL, and add explicit exceptions if it makes you feel better.
>
> We know where we stand with GPL, LGPL and BSD.  More licences causes
> more confusion.

Despite that there does seem to be some confusion relating to using
the LGPL with an advanced compiler/linker as GHC I think you are
right: adding more licenses to the mix is a serious problem.

For now I will continue to release Haskell modules under LGPL and
programs under GPL and if people would like to put the code to use in
a non-free way they'll simply have to ask me.  Hopefully this is
something that people are used to doing.

/M