[Haskell-cafe] Hmm, what license to use?

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Fri Sep 26 11:45:56 EDT 2008

Am Freitag, 26. September 2008 09:24 schrieb Magnus Therning:
> Recently I received an email with a question regarding the licensing
> of a module I've written and uploaded to Hackage.  I released it under
> LGPL.  The sender wondered if I would consider re-licensing the code
> under BSD (or something similar) that would remove the need for users
> to provide linkable object files so that users can re-link programs
> against newer/modified versions of my library.

Since GHC does cross-package inlining, code of your library is directly
included (not just linked) into code that uses the library.  So I think that
every code that uses your library will have to be released und the GPL or
LGPL which is a very bad situation.

People, don’t release Haskell libraries under the LGPL!

> Now I have fairly strong feelings about freedom of code and I
> everything I release is either under GPL or LGPL.

Ah, the RMS prevarication. ;-)  Honestly, copyleft gives the user *less*
freedom because he can no longer choose a license for redistribution freely.

> […]

Best wishes,
Wolfgang