[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haddock + Hoogle == Javadoc on steroids

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Sat Sep 27 17:35:00 EDT 2008

Taking this to haskell-cafe..

http://joyful.com/repos/darcs-sm/api-doc is a mashup of haddock, hoogle
and hscolour (and darcsweb, darcs-graph - see http://joyful.com/repos).

It's rough but quite useful - a few minutes here gave me a much better
understanding of the big picture of darcs code. By alternating shift &
enter in the contents pane I could browse quickly through all modules.

Improvement: one could do a lot of useful magic with javascript. But it
would be more powerful to improve the tools, eg I'd like if haddock had
frames/no-frames built in and hoogle could be made to work in either
case. I haven't had time to work on this, currently I hard-code the
target in hoogle and munge the haddock output slightly (see recent patch
in darcs-unstable).

As you say it would be great to keep improving this area and baking it
into our tools and infrastructure. Highly accessible and efficient docs
and code browsing tools help a lot!

On Sep 27, 2008, at 1:49 PM, Jason Dagit wrote:
> Simon,
>
> I'm wondering if you could find a way to make it "trivial" for people using cabal to combine haddock and hoogle the way you have for darcs?
>
> Some ideas:
> 1) Depend entirely on cabal for the auto setup of things
> 2) Provide the framed interface on your webpage also has a layout in emacs (so people can use either web or emacs)
> 3) Package it so that people just 'cabal install hoodock && hoddock ./src' and then they are done for 90% of cases
> 4) Provide demos for darcs and something else large like GHC
>
> What do you think?  If you need help with it, I'm sure there are tons of people on Haskell-Cafe that would really dig this and help you with it.
>
> Thanks, I love it!
> Jason

Thanks!

-Simon