[Haskell-cafe] Hmm, what license to use?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Sep 26 10:49:04 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Dougal Stanton
<dougal at dougalstanton.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Thomas Davie <tom.davie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sure it does -- it prevents the use of software for things that are closed
>> source.
>
> "Thing that are closed source" is not a use of software. Programs
> don't become more or less capable of designing rockets or writing
> subversive literature because the licence changes. The GPL provides an
> identical number of restrictions in this case as the BSD licence.
>
> Either way, the OP subscribes to the GPL ethic. Such arguments cloud
> the real point of discussion --- which licence (if any) satisfies the
> "permanent freedom" clause with some flexibility for linking?

Thanks for trying to reign in this thread.  It turns out my fears were
confirmed, people jumped on the GPL vs. BSD path rather than offer
suggestions of licenses that satisfy _my_beliefs_ in source freedom.

I'm still hopeful someone will be able to inform me of some license
that satisfies my needs.

/M