[Haskell-cafe] Line noise

Brian Hurt bhurt at spnz.org
Mon Sep 22 21:27:17 EDT 2008

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, wren ng thornton wrote:

> Even with functionalists ---of the OCaml and SML ilk---
> this use of spaces can be confusing if noone explains that function
> application binds tighter than all operators.

Bwuh?  Ocaml programmers certainly know that application binds tighter
than operators.  And as:

 	let f x y = ... in
 	f a b

is more efficient (in Ocaml) than:

 	let f (x, y) = ... in
 	f (a, b)

(Ocaml doesn't optimize away the tuple allocation), the former
(Haskell-like) is generally preferred by Ocaml programmers.

SML programmers do use the second form, I'll grant you.

Brian