[Haskell-cafe] Climbing up the shootout...

Chaddaï Fouché chaddai.fouche at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 20:39:18 EDT 2008

2008/9/23 Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com>:
> Hello Don,
> Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 4:22:19 AM, you wrote:
>> bulat.ziganshin:
>>> when gcc developers will start to add to C libraries functions
>>> performing shootout benchmarks we will continue this discussion :D
>> atoi(3).
> it isn't the same as readInt which was added specifically for this
> test. it doesn't support arbitrary-size streams and doesn't return
> rest of stream

Yeah, readInt has a more useful type than atoi() in most circumstances
so obviously it's a default which somehow disqualify this function...
(I wasn't aware that this function was only useful in the shoutout
context, I should probably scrap it from my other programs now)

I think we should write all the entries in Haskell98 and disable any
optimisation in GHC too, that would gives us a much fairer vision of
Haskell current performances.