[Haskell-cafe] Re: Ropes

apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Sat Sep 20 07:38:24 EDT 2008

Rafael Gustavo da Cunha Pereira Pinto wrote:
> I am doing the ICFPC07 task right now, to learn Haskell and tried to use the
> Sequence, but the final code is too damn slow (a few iterations per
> minute!).
>
> The DNA needs only 2 operations: head (or take) and concat.
>
> I am thinking in using ropes for the DNA and sequences for all the rest
> (patterns, templates and RNA).

I have been told that you could pretty much literally implement the algorithms
from the problem specification with  Seq  from  Data.Sequence  and achieve
acceptable speed (IIRC ~ one minute for generating a whole picture).

Are you sure that there is no unintentional bug in your implementation that
slows things down?

Regards,
apfelmus