[Haskell-cafe] Re: Python's big challenges, Haskell's big advantages?

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Wed Sep 17 18:37:06 EDT 2008

Jonathan Cast ha scritto:
> [...]
>> Huh.  I see multi-threading as a workaround for expensive processes,
>> which can explicitly use shared memory when that makes sense.
>
> That breaks down when you want 1000s of threads.  I'm not aware of any
> program, on any system, that spawns a new process on each event it wants
> to handle concurrently;

thttpd spawn a new process for every CGI request or directory listing.
Many "old" server don't use a prefork model.

Another interesting example for bad threads usage is Azureus (a
BitTorrent client written in Java): it creates about 70 threads for who
know what reasons (and it also allocate about one half of available
virtual memory).

 > [...]

Manlio Perillo