[Haskell-cafe] Python's big challenges, Haskell's big advantages?

Jefferson Heard jefferson.r.heard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 09:12:43 EDT 2008

Multiprocessing is hardly a solution...  I realize the Python
interpreter's fairly lightweight on its own, but the weight of a full
unix process plus the weight of the python interpreter in terms of
memory, context switching times, and finally the clunkiness of the
fork() model (which is HOW many years old now?).  They need a model
programmers are familiar with, e.g. threads-allocate-to-cores a la
Java or C, or they need a model that is entirely new or is based on
source-code annotation (like Strategies and Control.Parallel).

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Manlio Perillo
<manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:
> Don Stewart ha scritto:
>>

>> http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Shuttleworth-Python-needs-to-focus-on-future--/news/111534
>>
>> "cloud computing, transactional memory and future multicore processors"
>>

> Multicore support is already "supported" in Python, if you use
> multiprocessing, instead of multithreading.
>
> And scalability is not a "real" problem, if you write RESTful web
> applications.
>
>> Get writing that multicore, STM, web app code!
>>

> Manlio Perillo

I try to take things like a crow; war and chaos don't always ruin a
picnic, they just mean you have to be careful what you swallow.

-- Jessica Edwards