[Haskell-cafe] Semantic Domain, Function, and denotational model.....

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 13:46:16 EDT 2008

Here's a quick overview that might help you.

For a reactive behavior, we have two types to think about:

type B a = Time -> a
    (the semantic domain)

data Behavior a = ?
    (the library's implementation).
at :: Behavior a -> B a
    (observation function)

This is really just classic "information hiding" as you would do with
any abstract data type.  Consider a simple "stack" data structure that
supports push and pop.

> data S a = S
>     { popS :: Maybe (a, S a)
>     , pushS :: a -> S a
>     }

> data Stack a = ?
> observeStack :: Stack a -> S a

As a library user, you don't really care about the implementation of
Stack, just as a user of Conal's library doesn't really care about the
implementation of Behavior.  What you *do* care about is that you can
think about it in the simpler terms of "Time -> a" which is the model
he has chosen.

The rest of the library design comes from taking that model and
thinking about what typeclasses and operations "Time -> a" should
support, and creating typeclass morphisms between Behavior a and B a
where necessary.  For example:

> -- This makes (r -> a) into a functor over a; it is a generalization of Time -> a
> instance Functor ((->) r) where
>    -- fmap :: (a -> b) -> (r -> a) -> (r -> b)
>    fmap f x = \r -> f (x r)
>    -- or, "fmap = (.)", if you're golfing :)

In order for the morphism between B and Behavior to make sense, you
want this law to hold:
   fmap f (at behavior) = at (fmap f behavior)
for all behavior :: Behavior a.

The fmap on the left applies to B which is (Time ->); the fmap on the
right applies to Behavior.

Conal writes this law more elegantly like this:
> instance(semantic) Functor Behavior where
>    fmap f . at = at . fmap f

As long as you as the user can think about behaviors generally as
functions of Time, you can ignore the implementation details, and
things that you expect to work should work.  This drives the design of
the entire library, with similar morphisms over many typeclasses
between Event and E, Reactive and B, etc.

  -- ryan