[Haskell-cafe] packages and QuickCheck

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 9 22:49:27 EDT 2008

2008/9/9 Sean Leather <leather at cs.uu.nl>:

>> My tests are making use of a nice console test runner I wrote that
>> supports both HUnit and QuickCheck (and is extensible to other test
>> providers by the user):
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/test-framework.
>
> The description looks great! I might have to try it out.

Great!

> I used HUnit with QuickCheck 2, so that I could run QC properties as HUnit
> tests. QC2 has the added ability (over QC1) to run a property and return a
> Bool instead of just exiting with an error, and that works nicely within
> HUnit. Does test-framework do something else to support QC running
> side-by-side with HUnit?

You can see the approach I've taken in the QuickCheck test provider
source code: http://github.com/batterseapower/test-framework/tree/master/Test/Framework/Providers/QuickCheck.hs.
Basically, I just copy-pasted the relevant part of the QuickCheck
source code so I could customise it to my whim :-). I'm not familiar
with the QC2 API, but it's possible I would have had to do this anyway
in order to get progress reporting for QuickCheck tests without them
writing directly to the console (which is _bad_ when there are several
property running at once!) and to obtain the random seed.

Cheers,
Max