[Haskell-cafe] Hackage policy question

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 19:26:37 EDT 2008

Hi,
I just noticed that hackage has introduced a new policy to disallow
changes to a package without bumping the version.  I understand that
this is probably a good idea for changes to the source code, but it
really would be nice to have a backdoor that allows for other changes.
 For example, I just uploaded a package, and realized that I forgot to
add a home-page entry in the cabal file.  I do not plan to increase
the version number of my application, only so that I can upload a new
version (the source code has not changed after all!).  I can imagine
similar problems related to fixing typos in the description, and other
fixes to the meta-data.

So, could we please revert to the old policy? (if we really want to be
fancy, the hackage upload script could check that the source code, and
other fields, such as LICENSE have not changed, as these should really
bump the version... in the mean time though, I think just being
responsible members of the community would work just as well!).

-Iavor