[Haskell-cafe] Hackage -> MacPorts?

David Menendez dave at zednenem.com
Thu Sep 4 20:08:49 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> That's right, on Arch we just go for what people actually need, i.e.:
>
>    1) 1 compiler, GHC
>    2) GHC comes with the core+extra set, so they're implicitly available
>    3) all other libs are "haskell-(map toLower packagename)"
>
> The complication to support multiple implementations et al isn't done by
> any other language group (i.e. libs aren't bundled for multiple python
> impls, or different C compilers), so I don't see why we should waste
> time on that either. Pragmatic, I know.

So Haskell developers still have to manage everything themselves.
That's probably reasonable.

What happens when you upgrade GHC? The problem MacPorts has is that
the libraries are still listed as installed, even though they are no
longer registered or useable.

--
Dave Menendez <dave at zednenem.com>
<http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>