[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hackage -> MacPorts?

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Thu Sep 4 18:28:26 EDT 2008

On 2008-09-04, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> The complication to support multiple implementations et al isn't done by
> any other language group (i.e. libs aren't bundled for multiple python
> impls, or different C compilers), so I don't see why we should waste
> time on that either. Pragmatic, I know.

It's indeed not done for C libraries, because that, unlike Haskell, has
a stable ABI, even between compilers.  Python is in a fairly similar
situation, with on-demand compilation and caching being cheap enough
that distributing source is good enough.  This of course requires a
small bit of care in making the source work with multiple revisions of
the standard C implementation.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-