[Haskell-cafe] RE: [Haskell] Top Level <-

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Thu Sep 4 04:43:51 EDT 2008

Ashley Yakeley wrote:

> Sittampalam, Ganesh wrote:
> > In compiled code module boundaries don't necessarily exist. So how
do
> > you relink the loaded code so that it points to the unique copy of
the
> > module?

> hs-plugins loads modules as single .o files, I believe.

Yes, but (a) the loading program doesn't and (b) that's an
implementation
choice, not a necessity.

> Two RTSs? Are you quite sure? How would GC work?

I talked to Don about this and you're right, that doesn't happen.
However
he also confirmed that it does load modules a second time if they are
in the main program as well as the plugin, and it would be difficult to
merge
the static and dynamic versions of the module.

Cheers,

Ganesh