[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Top Level <-

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Wed Sep 3 15:08:44 EDT 2008

Sittampalam, Ganesh wrote:
> In compiled code module boundaries don't necessarily exist. So how
> do you relink the loaded code so that it points to the unique copy
> of the module?

hs-plugins loads modules as single .o files, I believe.

> It crashes the RTS of the plugins loader, which is based on ghci, which
> is built around loading modules independently. I believe there's a
> separate RTS running at the top level of the program which has no
> knowledge of the plugin loader.

Two RTSs? Are you quite sure? How would GC work?

"The loader is a binding to the GHC runtime system's dynamic linker,
which does single object loading. GHC also performs the necessary
linking of new objects into the running process."
<http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/hs-plugins/hs-plugins-Z-H-2.html#node_sec_4>

--
Ashley Yakeley