[Haskell-cafe] HDBC Oracle bindings(?/!)

Daniil Elovkov daniil.elovkov at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 30 10:53:10 EDT 2008

Thiago Arrais wrote:
> Are there Oracle bindings for HDBC anywhere? The HDBC project page talks about
> Oracle backends but there isn't an Oracle-specific driver listed (I assume one
> can reach an Oracle backend through the ODBC interface?).

Yes, I was a bit confused by that, as well.

> I started writing Oracle bindings for HDBC based on the Takusen code. It was
> done mostly for playing than for anything else and certainly isn't production
> ready, but it is available in a darcs repo at
> http://thiagoarrais.com/repos/hdbc-oracle in case anyone is interested.
>
> This code isn't ready for prime time yet and I'm looking for some that *is*. Is
> there such a thing already?

Yes, HSQL supports Oracle natively, through OCI. hsql-oracle isn't on hackage, only in the repository.

I don't know how Takusen's oci code looks, but I would suspect that porting HSQL Oracle code to HDBC could be simpler, because HDBC and HSQL are quite similar in their interfaces, unlike Takusen.