[Haskell-cafe] Crash!

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Fri Oct 24 13:25:24 EDT 2008

> The point is... I'm not doing that. Gtk2hs is, but that's a well-tested
> library, so I very much doubt it's the source of the bug.

I don't understand why Haskell users believe (perhaps are too often led to
believe) that haskell programs can't crash.  Gtk2hs does a lot of native
stuff.  Gtk's been around for a long time, but so has a lot of other
software that has lots of bugs still present in it. Often these bugs lead
to memory corruption and crashes.  Haskell does nothing to prevent this
from happening (how could it?).

I entirely expect that this crash is due to Gtk2hs (well-tested though it
may be) or one of its underlying dependencies (such as libpng).

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/