[Haskell-cafe] Re: A heretic question

ajb at spamcop.net ajb at spamcop.net
Fri Oct 24 02:20:56 EDT 2008

G'day all.

Quoting Dan Weston <westondan at imageworks.com>:

> For the record, C++ (and a crippled scripting language call MEL that
> makes C look good) [...]

To be fair, MEL does exactly what it's designed to do.  It was supposed
to powerful enough to be a scripting language, UI builder and save file
format, while being restricted to the point where concurrency issues
(e.g. locking) are not exposed to the user.  In 1998.

(The concurrency issue is the main reason, I think, why you can't implement
a dependency node in MEL.)

> There is (as yet) no Haskell API (anyone up for writing one?). Sorry to
> burst y'alls delusions of grandeur. I love Haskell greatly over C++,
> but the claims I've been reading about its use in industry are a still
> a wee bit premature.

It depends on the industry.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage