[Haskell-cafe] Template Haskell

Ariel J. Birnbaum valgarv at gmx.net
Tue Oct 21 19:33:32 EDT 2008

> The thing that worries me is... if you need to write repetative Haskell
> source code, doesn't that mean that Haskell itself is broken in the
> first place?

I wouldn't go as far as calling it "broken". Sure, writing boilerplate is a
pain, but Haskell in this respect is far better than many (most?) other
languages. On top of that, the language keeps evolving with new extensions
that add new flexibility, TH being one of them.

This is the part when the Lisp hackers in the audience chuckle, as one of them
raises a hand and asks "What happens when you grow tired of writing TH
boilerplate? Wait for another extension? And what after that?".

Note to self: give Liskell a try before the end of the year.

--
Ariel J. Birnbaum