[Haskell-cafe] Template Haskell

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Tue Oct 21 19:32:07 EDT 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Andrew Coppin wrote:

> If I'm understanding this correctly, Template Haskell is a way to
> auto-generate repetative Haskell source code.

Amongst other things, yes. It's also a way to perform repetitive
transformations on code, for example.

> The thing that worries me is... if you need to write repetative Haskell source
> code, doesn't that mean that Haskell itself is broken in the first place?

For what're sometimes pretty picky values of broken that apply to almost
any statically-typed language, yeah. Sometimes we don't know what
non-broken would look like yet though.

flippa at flippac.org

"I think you mean Philippa. I believe Phillipa is the one from an
alternate universe, who has a beard and programs in BASIC, using only
gotos for control flow." -- Anton van Straaten on Lambda the Ultimate