[Haskell-cafe] Haskell on the JVM

Jan-Willem Maessen jmaessen at alum.mit.edu
Sun Oct 12 09:19:48 EDT 2008

On Oct 12, 2008, at 6:19 AM, Jon Harrop wrote:

> On Saturday 11 October 2008 17:45:39 John A. De Goes wrote:
>> I have strong interest in hosting GHC on the JVM. And I suspect it
>> would be good for the Haskell community, as the JVM already runs on
>> nearly every machine known to man, has a wealth of cross-platform
>> libraries, and is getting improved support for dynamic and functional
>> languages (method handles, tail call).
>
> The JVM has been about to get basic features like tail calls for
> several years
> now.

As a gentle correction of fact, while folks have been *asking* for
tail calls in the JVM for over 10 years, it's only in the last year or
two that there's actually been support from VM implementors for their
inclusion.  I've had specific discussions with JVM folks on this very
topic on numerous occasions over the last 5 years.  [I can't speak to
what other "basic features" might have been slated for inclusion
"several years ago"; I'll note that invokedynamic has been slated for
inclusion for much longer, but required some wrangling between
competing VM implementors and language designers to actually settle on
an implementable spec.  The result looks nothing at all like my memory
of the original proposal.]

Back to your regularly scheduled Haskell discussion.

-Jan