[Haskell-cafe] Pandoc questions

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 12 06:21:45 EDT 2008

There doesn't seem to be any option to make Pandoc produce actual MathML
output. Is there a reason for this?

(The only option I can see is to spit out raw LaTeX plus a 70KB
JavaScript program to transform this into MathML at the client end ---
which seems a little silly to me. There's also no way to style the raw
LaTeX differently in case JavaScript is unavailable.)

Also, while Markdown *almost* does what I want, there are a few small
constructs it doesn't have. For example, I'd like to have some way to
denote a "term" the first time I use it. I could just use italics, but
I'd prefer some way to visually indicate that this isn't just an
emphasised word, it's a new technical term. In HTML, I'd use a style
class, and in LaTeX I'd define a new command. But I can't see a way to
do something that will still allow Pandoc to generate correct LaTeX
*and* correct HTML from a single Markdown source... Any hints?