[Haskell-cafe] Haskell on the JVM

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sat Oct 11 13:08:22 EDT 2008

On 2008 Oct 11, at 12:07, David Leimbach wrote:
> Are there, or have there been Haskell ports to the JVM?  Are any of
> them alive and well?

YHC, last I heard, was alive and well and there's a YHC Core backend
for the JVM.

> Is there an interest in hosting GHC on the JVM (besides my own).

There's interest but my understanding is that the GHC backend
architecture is not at all friendly to work with.  That said, I hear
in the next release (I think 6.12, not the 6.10 that's in beta) will
have a redesigned backend architecture that is supposed to be much
easier to work with, which will make it easier to provide native code
generators for many currently poorly-served platforms --- including
the JVM if anyone is so inclined.

You might want to ask on glasgow-haskell-users to get the people who
really know.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu