[Haskell-cafe] Libraries in home dir

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 9 13:08:49 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 10:08 -0300, Mauricio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use a few libraries from hackage
> and have already download and built them. Can
> I install those libraries somewhere in my
> home dir (I want to avoid installing as root)
> so that ghc can find them?
>
> If so, which options should I give to Setup.hs
> (with main=defaultMain) so that the libraries
> are going to be copy to that dir?

$ cabal instsll xmonad

Does exactly that by default. No other flags are required.

By default it stores files under $HOME/.cabal and registers the packages
in ghc's per-user db. So no special permissions are required.

If you want to change the defaults then you can use command line flags
or edit the $HOME/.cabal/config file.

Duncan